Monday, June 20, 2016

177 books later

At the beginning of the year I set myself the goal of reading a book a day from my library's collection. Sometimes the works are fiction, sometimes they are nonfiction. I have read graphic novels, romantic fairy tales, action and adventures, and mysteries galore. Sometimes the books were long. At other times, they were in the 32 to 48 pages range. Sometimes I listened to them, but most time I read them.

A rough estimate suggests that I read over 30,000 pages this year, which is pretty good. Next year I plan on tallying the actual number of pages so that I have a better idea of how many pages I actually read.

I said goodbye to many old friends this year. I completed the Lunar Chronicles series this year, and must bid farewell to Cinder and her acolytes. I hope everything works well for the Lunar and Emperor Kai. After 12 books, Zom-B wrapped up in a pretty apocalyptic view of the world, and I'm sorry to see B go. Hopefully more adventures will befall my favorite revived individual. Sophronia's adventures in the Finishing School series also concluded with a bittersweet ending. And so did Thomas' cruel Flare world of the Maze Runner series, but at least he did find a peaceful world in the end. Or did he? Seraphina and her dragon kin will also be missed. The adventures of Will and Lydia also concluded His Dark Material series. Miss Peregrine's children were okay in the end and the Wights were defeated, but their strangeness and amazing powers remain. Michael and his friends managed to stop Kane from becoming human in The Mortality Doctrine series.

Among single books, highlights this year included Rebecca, which I am sorry not to have read earlier in my life. It was slow going at first, but then it go so good that I wasn't ready for it to end. What a fascinating history that took place in Halifax during the Blizzard of Glass. What happened to Cass McBride was one of the creepiest book I've read in a while. The Evil Librarian was entertaining.

I could go on, but it's time to conclude this school year. One hundred and seventy seven books later, I get to read books for myself this summer :)!

No comments:

Post a Comment