Friday, June 29, 2018

178 books later, 2017-2018

Once again this year ...

Back in 2012 I had read a review of The Diviners in VOYA, and I had placed this book on my to read list. I never got to it until this year, however. Once I read it, however, I wish I would have taken the time to read it earlier. I immediately picked up Lair of Dreams and continued the adventures of Evie O'Neill and the other Diviners. I'm a big fan of Libba Bray and with this series she has skillfully mixed horror and history in an amazing story.

I was introduced to two new manga series this year: The Case Study of Vanitas and Bungo Stray Dogs.

I listened to the audio version of The Witch's Vacuum and Other Stories, and it was one of the funniest set of short stories I have heard in a while. Featuring some of Terry Pratchett's earliest works, the tales are reminiscent of his later work, and the sound effects and narrator's voices really enhance the written word.

I also served on the middle school book of the year from VOYA, and I got to read a great many middle-school appropriate books.

I came across one of the best fantasy book I have read in a long time through this committee. The Dragon With A Chocolate Heart was a heartwarming tale told from the perspective of a young dragon in love with chocolate but unfortunately transformed into a human. The story was well crafted, Aventurine as a character comes alive, and the references to chocolate would make anyone's mouth water. I highly recommend it to anyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment